Dear Logos Parents and Students, July 18, 2008
I trust that your summer has been restful and full of good times with your families. I want to express my deep appreciation for the encouragement and support that many of you have expressed as I begin my first year as elementary and secondary principal here at Logos School. It is with a deep sense of joy and gravity that I look forward to working with our entire student body, staff, and parents. Please keep us in your prayers this year, and as always, do not hesitate to let me know if you have ideas for how we can continue to improve the school. As the school year approaches there are a few items that I want to keep you abreast of:
1. New Teachers: We are very pleased to add a number of mature experienced staff members to the school this year. Jack and Dianne Bradley have joined us from Colville, WA. Dianne will be our 6th grade afternoon teacher and Jack will be teaching full time in the secondary (European History, Civics, NT Survey, US History, Classical History and 9th Grade Rhetoric I). We are excited to have Matt Gray back at Logos this year. He will be teaching Christian Doctrine to the 11th graders. Nate Wilson, class of ’96, will be teaching 10th grade Rhetoric II (more information on Rhetoric I and II to come). I am very thankful for these new teachers and for our seasoned veterans that invest so much in our kids.
2. New Administrative Structure: Since we have made some significant changes over the summer I thought it might be helpful to clarify who is responsible for what this year. This may aid you in directing the right question to the appropriate individual.
Superintendent: Tom Garfield
Tom is responsible for the overall administration of the school. Questions regarding facility, secondary drama, school vehicles, employee contracts, marketing, development, the overall school budget, and janitorial staff should be directed to him.
Principal: Matt Whitling
I am responsible for the administration of the elementary and secondary schools. Questions regarding students, teachers, curriculum, course scheduling, discipline, etc… should be directed to me.
Activities Director: John Carnahan
John is responsible for all special activities in the secondary. Questions regarding athletics, mock trial, knowledge bowl, Field Day, Knight Day, Knights’ Festival, standardized testing, speech meet, protocol, and the Secondary Awards Night should be directed to John.
Front Office Secretaries: Sandy Hoeft (AM) & Penny Anast (PM)
These ladies run the place. Questions regarding attendance, communication with parents/students, honor rolls, scheduling, etc… should be directed to them.
Registrar’s Office: Charlene Polek & Ginny Knecht
The old secondary office has been converted into a bookkeeping/registrar’s office. We are hoping to reduce the amount of traffic in this office so that these ladies can hum away at their respective jobs. Please direct all questions about transcripts, senior advising, immunization records, and tuition to Mrs. Hoeft and Mrs. Anast at the front office.
3. Elementary PE: Our elementary PE program is staffed by volunteers. If you are interested in volunteering to help out by teaching your child’s PE class, please contact me ASAP. Each PE class meets twice a week for 30 minutes.
4. Senior Electives: Those who will be participating in senior electives (independent studies, internships, or college courses) should be starting to construct their proposals. You should have received a packet describing how and when to go about getting these proposals done. If you need another packet, please call the office. Be sure to have these turned in by August 15 or earlier if possible.
5. Elementary and Secondary Class Registration: Registration for all Logos students will take place on August 18-19 between 7:00 AM and 3:00 PM. Please make time on one of these days to come by the front office for 15 minutes and register. This cannot be done over the phone or via email as there are certain forms that need to be signed and updated (immunizations, emergency forms, etc.). The student/parent handbooks, locker lists, and more will be available at that time.
6. Secondary Class Schedule: The secondary class schedule and elective options will be coming out within the next few days. Stay tuned.
7. Important dates:
Friday, August 15 Varsity Drama, Volleyball, and Cross-Country begin, Senior proposals are due
Mon/Tues, August 18-19 Elementary and Secondary Registration 7:00 AM-3:00 PM
Thurs-Friday, August 21-22 Teacher Orientation
Friday, August 22 7th Grade Orientation @ 1:00 PM
Friday, August 22 Elementary New Family Orientation @ 3:00 PM
Monday, August 25 First Day of School! (Dress Uniforms Pre-12th)
Thank you for your involvement in Logos School this year! We are working hard to prepare for the return of our favorite people – your children!
All the best,