July 7 & 8, 2022 (with pre-conference July 6th)
Logos Summer Training is a two or three-day intensive training for all who desire to acquire or improve their skills as classical and Christian educators, administrators, and board members. Our Summer Training instructors are Logos teachers and administrators, and occasionally board members. We’ve held this training annually for 27 years, except in 2020 which was canceled due to COVID shutdowns. This training is officially endorsed by ACCS (the Association of Classical & Christian Schools).
WHERE: Logos School – 110 Baker Street in Moscow, Idaho 83843.
208.882.1226 (main office of Logos School). Extension 12 for Loren Euhus / teacher training.
Teacher Training Coordinator: Loren Euhus, Assistant Superintendent
PLENARY SESSIONS & WORKSHOPS:
The schedule will include two plenary sessions each day and more than 50 workshop offerings. The workshops will be conducted by staff members of Logos School in Moscow, Idaho.
Workshops will be offered in multiple tracks: Grammar (Elementary), Logic & Rhetoric (Secondary), and Administrative/Board. Attendees are not locked into any one track; they may attend any session of interest. At check-in, you will receive a workbook with schedules, workshop outlines, maps, etc. Additional handouts will be provided for some sessions. Bring some pens, highlighters, and perhaps sticky notes.
Teacher training is designed for all major subject areas (grades PK-12) using the classical method. Workshops will include time to discuss the methodology of each concept and various methods of teaching the material. Administrators and board members will concentrate on the practical and philosophical considerations of operating a classical, Christian school.
Every morning and afternoon will begin with a plenary session, followed by a choice of hour-long workshops. We will allow time for Q & A in each workshop. Come prepared to interact! There will also be informal opportunities to get to know others and tap their knowledge.
A brief overview of a day at training (July 7 and July 8)
|7:30 AM||Check-in, Coffee, and Fellowship|
|8:15 AM||Singing and Welcome|
|8:30 AM||Morning Plenary Session|
|9:30 AM||Workshop choice|
|10:45 AM||Workshop choice|
|12:45 PM||Afternoon Plenary Session|
|1:45 PM||Workshop Choice|
|3:00 PM||Workshop Choice|
|4:00 PM||End of Day|
Click here for the full schedule.
On Wednesday, July 6th, there is an optional preconference with 4 specialty tracks.
|Core Administrative duties and functions.||New administrators, board members, etc.||
|A crash course – the basics of Latin in a day. We can’t teach all of Latin, but we can get you into the game, e.g. how to navigate and how the language functions. The goal is not to learn how to teach Latin (those sessions are on Thurs-Fri) but rather to learn Latin.||Those new to Latin, or needing a refresher. Non-Latin teachers who want the basics.||Danae Harlow Christiana Hale|
|A crash course – basics of Logic in a day. We can’t teach all of Logic, but we can give a broad overview with enough specifics to grasp the subject. The goal is not to teach Logic (those sessions are on Thurs-Fri) but rather to learn Logic.||New logic teachers, other teachers who want to integrate logic principles and terminology into their subjects.||Mark Wilson|
|Christian Culture and Worldview||
Key principles of culture and worldview. Topics involve family, school, music, and engagement with the culture.
Click here for the preconference schedule
REGISTRATION & FEES:
The registration fee includes the following: conference workbook, certificate of completion, and catered lunches.
|$ 250||conference (Thurs – Fri, July 7-8)|
|$ 75||preconference (optional, Wed July 6)|
|$ – 50||discount for 1st-year teachers (those who have taught a year or less)|
No refunds will be given after June 30.
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION:
An ACCS-endorsed certificate indicating the completion of this summer training will be issued to each participant.
“All of the instructors were extremely approachable, available for questions and advice, and were willing to share ideas and resources freely. What a blessing!”
“Thank you so much! This training has been invaluable and I know will bless me so much going into my first year teaching!”
“I feel very blessed by the things I’ve learned this week, and excited for school to begin again.”
“I will go home with invaluable wisdom, ideas, resources, inspiration, knowledge, and passion because of what I’ve gained here. Thank you for following Christ in your mission and for serving all of us in this most special of ways.”
TRAVEL AND LOGISTICS:
But it is also a small, somewhat isolated town…just getting here will be a bit of a challenge for you. We are very mindful of the sacrifices you are making to come here. We will do our very best to ensure your sacrifices are rewarded.
Airports: We have 3 airports that are good possibilities:
1) Moscow/Pullman Airport (PUW). About 6 miles from the school. This is a small commercial airport served by Alaska/Horizon through the Seattle hub. It is very convenient, but not always the cheapest; definitely worth checking because it’s so close.
2) Lewiston, Idaho (LWS). About 35 miles from the school. This is a small commercial airport served by Delta and United.
3) Spokane, WA. (GEG). About 87 miles from the school, but there is never any traffic so it takes only about 90 minutes. This is a medium-sized airport, but the biggest in the whole Inland Northwest. Airlines include Alaska, American, Delta, Frontier, Southwest, and United. Often this airport is the cheapest, because of the competition and volume.
Hotels: Several hotels are within walking distance of the school.
- The Best Western University Inn (less than half a mile from the school). A guest room block and special rates are being held until June 4th. Prior to June 4, please visit Reservations or call 208-882-0550 and mention Logos Teacher Training. When using the link, please confirm your arrival and departure dates at the top of the first page. If the link is showing no availability, you are unable to book your required room type OR if making reservations after June 4, please call the hotel directly. Best Western provides complimentary shuttles to the Moscow-Pullman airport.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites (less than half a mile from the school)
- FairBridge Inn (literally across the street from the school)
- La Quinta (about 1 mile away from the school)
Within 10 miles of the school, there are another dozen hotel options.
- Classical Christian publishers will have representatives and material at the training, including Canon Press.
- New Saint Andrews College (a classical college located in Moscow) will have a booth at the training.
- Dress for the training is casual. Days will be warm to hot (low 80s is normal, 90s possible) and evenings can be a bit cool (50s).